Friday, July 18, 2008

Holding the Dates

For shoppers who really care about freshness, shopping for the freshest, e.g., best value, perishables can be a frustrating experience. Clear freshness dates act like a firm handshake. They give consumers the same kind of quality assurance feeling as bloom on beef and sparkle on glass.

Part of the satisfaction short fall on prepared foods comes from dates that don't give consumers the information or the confidence they need to buy. "If they won't tell me when it was packed, I figure that they don't want me to know and that I shouldn't buy it."

The practice of boldly selling yesterday's fresh foods at big discounts has faded away in most stores. Stores that put big sale prices on products that are at or approaching sell-by dates tend to do it quietly these days. Sensitive shoppers think that putting older merchandise on sale without telling shoppers why it's on sale is deceptive.

* "I prefer the supermarkets that rotate stock and weed out those that are not as fresh. I like to buy the clearly marked, close-to-expiration date products at a reduced price. That way I know what I'm getting and I know that everything else is fresh and I can use my bargain products immediately."

No comments: